Posted: 12/6/2011 09:05
In 300 BC...
the Egyptians built the first documented lighthouse near the port of Alexandria. A basic structure, it served a basic need: "the safety of mariners." The Alexandria lighthouse remained on duty for more than 100 years.
PLCU selected the Point Loma lighthouse as our symbol because lighthouses have always represented security and service. And, for more than 60 years, so has Point Loma Credit Union.
Today, PLCU is a member-owned financial institution with assets in excess of $470 million with 7 branches as well as service centers throughout the United States.
The credit union first opened its doors in 1948 to serve the employees of the Naval Electronics Laboratory (NEL), who wanted a safe place to save and to go for loans. NEL later became Naval Ocean Systems Center, then NRaD, then SSC San Diego (SPAWAR) and today is SSC Pacific.
Since 1948, the field of membership has expanded and now includes everyone who lives, works or worships in San Diego and Riverside Counties and members of their families. Today, PLCU is proud to serve more than 51,000 members.
As PLCU's field of membership expanded, so did the members' needs for financial services. Responding to these needs has been the goal of the credit union. Today, PLCU offers a complete selection of financial products and services including savings and checking accounts, loans, credit cards, the Visa Check Card, PLCU Online, Bill Pay Online and more.