Posted: 12/23/2013 15:11
ATM and Everyday Debit Card Transactions
IMPORTANT NOTICE about POINT LOMA CREDIT UNION checking accounts
Until August 15, 2010, your Point Loma Credit Union Checking account may have qualified for a convenient overdraft feature under our Courtesy Pay Program that includes ATM and everyday debit card transactions. Under most circumstances, PLCU may have automatically honored these transactions on your behalf even if your account did not have sufficient funds to cover them. We can no longer provide this coverage to you automatically; however it is not too late to tell us that you still want to keep it. If you do not “opt in” to reinstate this service on your account, your ATM and everyday debit card transactions will continue to be declined if the funds in your account are insufficient.
We all occasionally lose track of the balance in our checking account. If you have made an error in balancing, if some of your deposits are not immediately available to you or if you are unable to make a deposit until later in the day — or even if you just plain forgot about an ATM withdrawal — this service could be very convenient for you. Or if you are suddenly in need of a tow truck or experience some other emergency, the immediate availability of funds may be crucial.
There is no fee to opt in and become eligible for this service again, nor is there a fee unless you actually overdraw your account and we elect to honor the transaction. If you do elect to opt in, you may do so at any time. However we recommend that you do it as soon as you can to avoid the potential embarrassment and inconvenience of having your transaction declined when you may need it most. We offer several convenient ways for you to opt in — you may:
- Log in to your account on PLCU Online and click on the Opt In icon.
- Contact us through our Call Center at either 858-495-3400 or 888-495-3400
- Visit any of our convenient branch locations
- Print, fill out and mail the Consent Form for Overdraft Services to Point Loma Credit Union, Attn: Member Services, 9420 Farnham Street, San Diego, CA 92123
Although this account feature automatically terminated on August 15, it is not too late to opt in and reinstate this service. After we receive your opt in request, we will send you a confirmation letter the following business day. We will then code your account to ensure you can take advantage of this service for as long as you like. The set-up processing time may take up to two business days to complete, so please act now to minimize the lapse in your coverage. No action is required if you do not want to reinstate the coverage you may have had on your account for ATM and everyday debit card transactions or if you have already opted in.
IMPORTANT DETAILS ABOUT POINT LOMA CREDIT UNION’S (PLCU) COURTESY PAY PROGRAM
- A fee of $29 to $33 may be imposed each time for covering overdrafts by check, automated clearing house (ACH), in-person withdrawal, debit card transactions or other electronic means.
- Once an overdraft has occurred, you are obligated to bring your account to a positive balance promptly.
- Whether your overdraft will be paid is at PLCU’s discretion, and we reserve the right not to pay. For example, we typically do not pay overdrafts if your account is not in good standing, or you are not making regular deposits, or you have had excessive overdrafts.
- PLCU’s Courtesy Pay Program is different from overdraft protection in that it does not transfer money from a credit card, savings account, or a line of credit.
- Debit card purchases that are set up to pay a bill automatically (like a gym membership), Check overdrafts, and ACH overdrafts may continue to be authorized at our discretion even if you do not opt in to have your ATM and everyday debit card transactions covered.